Pesto zoodle and pasta salad
Pasta salads are the perfect accompaniment to any Aussie BBQ. Usually with a creamy sauce, they are sure to get your mouth watering. My version of pasta salad is as much a side dish as a perfect lunch option with grilled chicken added, which could also be replaced by left over BBQ meat. My homemade pesto sauce replaces the mayo based originals, and a combination of fresh vegetables with roast pumping provide a variety of textures. The pesto can be kept in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks, but I freeze mine in ice cube trays so they are portioned ready to use whenever I need, and nothing goes to waste.
- 1 bunch basil
- 1/2c-1c cashews
- 1/2c olive oil
- 1/3c lemon
- 3 zucchini, spiralised
- 400g high-fibre/wholemeal fettucine, cooked and drained
- 500g pumpkin, diced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch of Tuscan kale (flat leaf), stems removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Optional: 400g chicken thigh fillet, diced.
- Heat oven to 180C. Place pumpkin on lined tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- If using chicken, fry over medium heat, with 1 tsp olive oil and seasoned. Cook until brown and no pink in middle.
- Blend pesto ingredients with stick blender and adjust ingredients to taste.
- Mix with zoodles and pasta, with pesto until covered.
- Add chopped tomatoes, roasted pumpkin and chopped kale. Add chicken if using.
Eclipse Fuel http://eclipsefuel.com/