Reaching your recommended five serves of veggies each day can be a challenging task, that's why I love to try and sneak them into my breakfast. Baked eggs, based with thick tomato sauce made from onion, capsicum, cherry tomatoes and spinach, provide you with 1-2 serves of your recommended 5 serves of veggies.
Eggs are another nutrient packed morsel of goodness, high in protein, fat soluble vitamins, as well as B vitamins and phosphorus, which are key components of energy metabolism. The mix of nutrients in this dish come together to create a filling, wholesome breakfast to keep you going all day long.
- 1-2 eggs
- 1 tin whole tomatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small capsicum diced
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 20g low fat cheddar cheese/parmesan grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Heat olive oil, garlic and onion over low heat until soft and fragrant. Add diced capsicum. Stir for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add tomatoes and herbs, cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
- Stir through spinach, then crack the two eggs on top of mix. Grate cheese over top of eggs. To make your fry pan oven proof cover handle with aluminium foil.
- Place fry pan in oven and bake for 5-7 minutes until eggs jiggle slightly and cheese is golden.
- Serve with toasted sourdough, which you can scrape with a garlic clove to create homemade garlic bread.
- Drizzle with sugar free/homemade BBQ sauce for added taste
Eclipse Fuel http://eclipsefuel.com/