Berry and apple crumble cake
I love this crumble cake recipe found on Taste, but have 'healthified' it to increase the fibre, protein and reduce the sugar. This is a filling afternoon tea/snack option and looks pretty enough to take to a shared morning tea.
- 150g Olive Grove margarine, melted
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 C milk of choice
- 3 granny apples, cored and thickly sliced
- 1 punnet of strawberries, thinly sliced
- 70g Olive Grove margarine, melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 C wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 C rolled oats
- 1/4 shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 180C, and grease a non-stick cake tin.
- Combine butter and maple syrup. Add mashed banana and site until combined. Mix in eggs one at time, then add vanilla.
- Sift in half the flour and all baking powder into wet mix, fold through. Pour in half the milk and repeat. Pour mix into prepared pan.
- Press pieces of apple (equivalent to one apple) down into the mix. Do the same with 3 strawberries, using less 'pretty' ones.
- Combine the margarine and maples syrup. Add the rest of the crumble ingredients.
- Sprinkle the crumble mix over the cake. Press the rest of the fruit pieces into the spaces on the cake top. Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until inserted skewer comes out clean
Adapted from Apple and Strawberry Crumble cake
Eclipse Fuel http://eclipsefuel.com/