Pan fried salmon with fresh 'salsa' and pesto greens
To be honest with you all I used to hate salmon, and most fish, until quite recently. I grew up with my mother constantly tricking me to eat it, I couldn't stand the overly fishy taste nor the scales! Earlier this year my mum cooked me up a piece of pan fried salmon and urged me to try it, being the good role model that I am (lol) I did, and it's changed my life! Now I have salmon once a week, cooking it to perfection every time.My tips for cooking it include seasoning first with salt and pepper, and drizzling with olive oi, a hot pan and not cooking all the way through. Some people drizzle with lemon first, I urge you to save this until after it cooks, this will result in moorish flakes of goodness!
- 4 x 200g salmon fillets, boned and skin intact
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pesto greens;
- 1 head of broccoli, florets sliced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 300g baby spinach
- 2 tbsp of my home made pesto
- Heat a griddle pan over high heat. Cover the fillets with oil and rub salt and pepper into the skin. Depending on the size of your pan you may need to do two batches.
- Place salmon skin side down and cook for five minutes or until the flesh changes from orangey-pink to light pink from the skin until about half way through the fillet.
- Flip and cook a further 2-3 minutes depending on thickness of fillets.
- Meanwhile place broccoli and zucchini in microwave safe bowl, add 1 tbsp water and cook covered for 5-7 minutes, until softened but still bright. Drain away liquid. Mix through spinach leaves, until wilted slightly. Add pesto.
- Combine salsa ingredients and season well.
- Once salmon cooked place on top of prepared greens and serve with salsa.
- Homemade pesto;
- 1/2 small bunch of basil, 1 cup baby spinach 100g parmesan/pecorino cheese, 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 3/4 cup cashews, 1/4 cup pinenuts, salt and pepper.
- Blitz ingredients until combined. Add more oil if too chunky, add more cheese for creamier taste. Remember to adjust for taste ie more lemon juice, salt and pepper
Eclipse Fuel http://eclipsefuel.com/