Secret ingredient five cheese lasagna
You might look at that title and think how could a five cheese lasagna ever be good for you! Well you're correct in thinking mouth watering layers of cheese are beyond any recommended servings, but my version of this fabulous treat uses a few tricks to get in maximum flavour, maximum nutrients with much less calories than anything that has 'five cheeses' in the title.
My secret ingredient base that helps fill out my lasagna sauce is cauliflower and cannellini beans, shocking I know. But don't nock it till you try it! A dash of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and some salt and pepper and that bad boy is a smooth and delicious roux (the flour and butter combination that makes up a normal white sauce). I then add a small amount of creamy ricotta, danish fetta, and top the monstrous thing with some grated low fat cheddar, parmesan and torn mozzarella.
This is a high protein option, perfect for after end of week training sessions where you need to refuel, to be honest its great any time. This cheesy and creaminess is balanced with a simple turkey and tomato sauce, pumpkin and a hell of a lot of spinach and kale.
The key to having your cheese and eating it too is all about moderating the serve size. It's actually the highest source of protein per 100g, it just comes with extra fat and salt so we don't need as much. Use stronger flavoured cheeses so you end up using less but not losing out on taste.
- 500g lean turkey mince
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- wholemeal lasagna sheets
- 400g pumpkin, thinly sliced
- 3 cups of baby spinach
- 8 leaves of kale
- 1/4 head of cauliflower
- 1 tin of cannellini beans
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 150g ricotta
- 100g danish fetta
- 30g parmesan, grated
- 50g low fat cheddar, grated
- 150g mozzarella, torn
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- Heat oven to 180C and grease an oven proof dish.
- Place pumpkin in microwave safe bowl, add 2 tbsp water and cook in microwave, covered for 10 minutes.
- Heat fry pan over medium heat, heat 1 tsp EVOO, add onion and garlic and sauté until soft. Add turkey mince and stir until cooked through. Add tin of tomato, herbs and season. Let simmer of 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add cauliflower and drained beans to microwave safe bowl, add tbsp water, cover and cook in microwave for 8 minutes. Once cooked, drain, add rest of EVOO and mash together. Season to taste. Add ricotta, fetta and nutmeg. Mash to combine.
- Layer the base of the tray with a small amount of turkey mix. Next add sheets of lasagna until base is covered, then layer with sauce, spinach, kale, pumpkin and 'white sauce', repeat the process ending with lasagna on top, with a thin layer of 'white sauce'.
- Grate cheddar and parmesan over the lasagna and place torn pieces of mozzarella around as you please.
- Cook for 15 minutes until top is golden. Serve with a tossed green salad.
Eclipse Fuel http://eclipsefuel.com/