Caramelised fruit french toast
French toast makes the perfect treat on a Sunday morning. The usual cafe favourite uses thick white bread, dipped into a high sugar custard/cream mixture and then fried off in butter. This is then usually topped with ice cream/ cream or my favourite bacon and maple syrup (guilty pleasure thats tough to find). My version swaps the white bread for thinly sliced sourdough, and no added sugar to the soaking mixture. The topping is also low sugar, simply caramelising the fruit to extract their natural sugars. The secret to this version of french toast is the use of cinnamon. The spice is naturally sweet and is a natural anti inflammatory.
- 4 slices of sourdough
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 punnet of strawberries, halved
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 tbsp EVOO (Extra-virgin olive oil)
- Cinnamon to serve
- Heat fry pan over medium heat, place fruit in pan and cook for 5-7 minutes, until fruit begins to soften and release juices. Remove fruit from pan.
- Next heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Meanwhile combine egg, milk and cinnamon. Dip bread into and place on pan.
- Cook bread on one side for 3-4minutes, then turn and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Top the bread with fruit, sprinkle with more cinnamon and drizzle with EVOO
Eclipse Fuel http://eclipsefuel.com/